The guy at the info desk was somewhat kidding when he asked if we wanted to stay in a convent, but I thought it'd be the perfect place for some peace and quiet to recuperate after the weekend. Here are my nun-creds that he wasn't aware of: I played a nun in my junior high production of "The Sound of Music", my family regularly quotes a line from "Sister Act", and my lifestyle involves vows of chastity and obedience (and occasional post-trip poverty). Plus, I'm always up for a novelty and this place didn't disappoint.
![]() |
| Sanctuary! |
Something we didn't confess to the nuns: Maggie had been an LDS missionary here a few years ago—we both love Jesus, and that's all they needed to know. But it also meant that Maggie knew what to see and do, and had some folks she wanted to reconnect with. In the end, we met up with Anna and had some Finnish kebabs. I thought I'd eaten enough Turkish and Greek ones to be a pro, but these had a unique flavor and a tomato-based sauce. The huge portion size was familiar, though, and I happily ate warm food while drying off inside the restaurant for as long as possible in the hopes the rain would let up.
![]() |
| Maggie and Anna with a Finnish kebab |
![]() |
| Turku cathedral |
We wandered along the river that cuts through the town and arrived at an art/history museum. It was just planning on being the former, but during the excavation of the basement uncovered enough medieval streets and building foundations to warrant turning the basement into an additional museum. It turned out to be my favorite of the pair. Fun facts abut Turku: it's the oldest city in Finland and was originally the capital—a blend of Finns, Swedes, and Hanseatic merchants (Germans). It seemed like a nice place to live, but this day was a reminder how much the weather and quality of sleep affects your experience of a place. In short, we wrapped it up pretty early and returned to our sanctuary for the night.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.