As I carried my
bags across the sand to the car, I took one last look at the bright stars above
the rustling palm trees. We were doing the return drive in a single day and
needed to leave well before sunrise. As we drove in the darkness, I glimpsed
the silhouettes of baobabs and the occasional small fire in homes as people
began their day. Given the darkness, I was surprised to see people already
walking along the side of the road.
 |
| Sunrise, and the smoke of an early fire |
Our return drive
was much of the same scenery, and with nothing else to do I tried capturing
some of our fellow commuters.
 |
| Roadside stand for breakfast |
 |
| a young zebu herder |
 |
| Is it still called carpooling if the vehicle looks like a golf cart? |
 |
| People washing their laundry in the riverbed |
 |
| How the locals get between towns: taxi brousse |
 |
| Drying her laundry and crops |
 |
| Traffic jam, Madagascar style |
 |
| For some people, they keep their savings in zebu rather than banks |
 |
| family tombs |
 |
| We even saw a few covered wagons, reminding me of the pioneers and the Oregon Trail |
 |
| We only saw rickshaws in a few of the villages, carrying people or cargo |
In the areas with
road damage, we repeatedly saw groups of children pretending to repair the road
as cars approached and begging for money as compensation for their “work.” I
didn’t blame them for trying, but what surprised me was how consistently this
played out over such long distances that there’s no way the kids could have
been in contact.
 |
| The roads were damaged in a recent cyclone; you can see why we had to slow down even on the straight parts |
On my previous trip
to Madagascar we’d seen some pretty nasty accidents, made even worse by the isolation
lack of medical response. I was glad we hadn’t seen anything this trip, but
shortly after commenting on that to the driver we passed a nasty accident
involving one of those packed taxi brouses. I couldn’t bear to look closely,
but the driver thought it could have resulted in a fatality. My prayers for
road safety increased the closer we got to Tana. The narrow roads had been
mostly empty all day, but in the afternoon commute it turned into a crowded and
high-speed race as private cars, semis, and taxi brouses raced each other and
attempted to pass zebu-pulled carts on winding roads. After a few close calls I
couldn’t look ahead any longer, and prayed while looking anywhere but forward.
I was more than
grateful when we safely arrived at our office, and celebrated my return to the
hotel with some sauna time to stretch and a delicious dinner in the hotel’s
restaurant.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.