The damp morning made me grateful I was able to pack up my tent the day before, and it was a little bittersweet leaving the ranch. I knew I had plenty of time for the drive back to Houston, but had planned stops along the way. First up: the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. It was the perfect time of year to be there and fun to explore.
I wrapped that up just in time to try Torchy's Tacos for lunch, and was not disappointed.
And there was also one last scoop at the Blue Bell Factory (unfortunately, missing that observation deck a second time). I was starting to cut it a little close, so Anna kindly met me at the airport to transfer all her camping gear back to her car, but then we got to talking…
It was only once I was on the rental car shuttle heading to the terminal that I realized just how close I was cutting it. I hoped for a bit of grace, and was able to self-check my bag, but the ticket counter staff said I was too late and refused to check my bag. I also noticed the grief they were giving passengers whose luggage was just a pound over the weight limit, and thought of what my bag might weigh. I was frustrated to spend the money to be rebooked on a flight the next morning, but Anna graciously let me stay with her again, and as a consolation we had another Blue Bell tasting. For all the flavors I’d enjoyed on this trip, Pistachio Almond was a novel one and became a favorite.








No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.