I try to make Leap Day memorable, and this year wasn’t hard. With our last full day at La Selva, I chose to start the morning with a walk along the trail we took for the night hike. Going a little further, I found an arboretum loop that looked benign (i.e. short path where all the trees have name tags), but soon led to shock. Only a few steps in, I found myself staring nearly eye-level with a dead monkey hanging upside down from a tree. It startled me enough that I almost screamed, but instead just fled the area as quickly as I could. I know the circle of life is a thing, but was totally unprepared to start my day with that part of the circle. In an attempt to calm my nerves, I picked another trail closer to the dorms, and was rewarded with some cool trees and a shy capybara. En route to the day’s workshop, I also found an orchid house with some fantastic-smelling blooms that helped calm me down.
 |
A shy Capybara on the sidewalk
|
 |
The trail ducks under the tree
|
 |
The most fragrant orchid wasn't the largest
|
The day’s sessions had a different format, and I found ways to
contribute that made it more fulfilling. Wrapping up the day, I went on a
longer walk with colleagues for more spotting, including more monkeys,
toucans, motmots, etc. My contribution: finding a poison dart frog that
hopped on the trail right in front of me. With coloring that vibrant
it’d be hard to miss, but it still counts.
 |
| Motmot |
 |
| Toucan |
 |
Mother and baby
|
 |
Bromeliads growing in delicate balance
|
 |
| Heliconia |
Crossing the bridge at sunset brought another prime monkey-viewing opportunity, as a troupe had taken over a nearby tree with some playfully fighting, dangling, etc. A few of them decided to cross over to another tree, so we had a show as they jumped and walked along the bridge cables overhead. In some ways, that spot became my favorite part of this place.
 |
Look carefully to see the troupe along the tops of branches
|
 |
Crossing the bridge at sunset
|
That night, we had a celebration to end the retreat on a high note and congratulate all the promotions and big wins of the previous year, and say our farewells to those who’d be leaving on the early bus.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.